A few months ago, Katie started on a project for the Vice President's Cancer Moonshot surrounding how data can be used to better fight cancer. The project is all wrapped up now, so we wanted to tell you about how that work went and what changes to cancer data policy were suggested to the Vice President.
Note: after this episode was recorded, but before release, the Vice President's office issued a summary report to the President, encompassing all recommendations received as part of the Cancer Moonshot and making final suggestions of what work will be most critical for fighting cancer more effectively (that includes our recommendations, and many others). The second strategic goal, entitled "Unleash the Power of Data," is summarized here.
- My homework assignment from the VP: how to bring data science to cancer research
- A data scientist's view into the Cancer Moonshot project: part 1, data infrastructure
- A data scientist's view into the Cancer Moonshot project: part 2, data sharing
- A data scientist's view into the Cancer Moonshot project: part 3, people and skills
- Civis Analytics full report to the Vice President's Cancer Moonshot